CC33

    "You Know You're Black When…"

    Share

    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-01-30
    Location: Oak Park, Michigan
    Posts: 23203
    Rep: 330

    default "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Chris on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:22 pm

    I know this list is ignorant (and stereotypical) as hell but I was laughing so hard at it, I had to post it.


    • You know what "no home-training" means.
    • You've told your mother you had a headache and her remedy was to take a crap or some Robitussin.
    • You were always able to find a Jet, Ebony, Ebony Jr., or Essence somewhere around the house.
    • Your dad had the uncanny ability to wake up just as you were changing the channel and yell "I was watchin' that!" - no matter how quiet you were...
    • You fell asleep in your mother's lap while getting your hair cornrowed, woke up, fell back asleep, and woke up again and she still wasn't finished.
    • Kool aid was the only "sports drink" you knew...
    • You knew about the controversy of the barbershop/beauty shop dialogue way before "Barbershop" or "Beauty Shop" came out.
    • Many of the people you grew up calling your aunty, uncle, cousin, sister, or brother have no blood relation to you at all.
    • You have the tendency to describe people's complexions in terms of food.
    • Your family had Sunday dinners.
    • OJ taught you that Black or White doesn't matter. . .So long as you've got green.
    • You've been told to stop crying before you got something to cry about.
    • Your parents whooped your behind if you wasted food.
    • Catfish was a popular meat at your barbeques.
    • Your parents told you to not even THINK about asking for toys when you go shopping with them.
    • Back-sassing a parent was the last thing on your mind… if you wanted to live.
    • You saw your community as part of your extended family.
    • Your barbers or hairdressers were your friends.
    • You knew ladies who wore big hats to church that you can't see over when sitting down.
    • Robitussin was a panacea.
    • Food with too little spice was simply unbearable.
    • You got baths in the sink as a baby.
    • You were told "I'll get mine and forget everyone else" was a terrible mindset.
    • As an adult, you still look over your shoulder when you know you're doin' wrong...
    • When your white friends talked to their parents, you ducked...
    • As an adult, your parents deny ever spanking you...
    • You feared your friends’ parents as much as you did your own...
    • You know how to drive a car with no brakes, or lights..Or windshield wipers...
    • You put hot sauce on everything including macaroni and cheese.
    • You compulsively barbecue when the warm weather arrives...
    • When someone makes something good to eat, you say things like "You put yo foot in this"
    • If you hear your jam you dance despite the location…You could be in the bank, and you would lean and rock with it...(slightly)
    • You know about forty eight variations of hand shakes...and you can perform the black combination without training..You know the one which starts by locking thumbs, and then a series of other moves...
    • You can make seventy dishes, including spaghetti with ramen noodles.
    • You would not be shocked if someone passing in a car shouted out your name without stopping the vehicle...and then you compulsively shout back "Whaddup"
    • You almost starve to death from December 26 to March due to your families Christmas shopping debt.
    • Even though the neighbor's kid wound up in prison, your auntie makes sure to remind you of how bad you were as a kid because you painted the dog.
    • You know what cod liver oil taste like.
    • “oohh un hun” is an appropriate response to something you don't like.
    • You know what it meant to be told to go get a "switch." And you bet not bring back a sheisty one.
    • Sucking your teeth in front of adults ....ummm... bet not happen.
    • "good hair and bad hair"
    • When James Evans died you actually grieved
    • Tremendously loud bass is an acquired musical delicacy.
    • Your momma told you to put Vaseline on your legs because "it's just like lotion".
    • Dessert choices were sweet potato pie or pound cake.
    • You were warned not to drink coffee because it made you black.
    • Your momma's momma was "Big Mama" and Your dad's momma was "Muh Dea"
    • You pronounce AUNT like UNTEE, not ANT
    • You could buy frozen kool-aid pops and Faygo sodas from the back door of an old lady in your neighborhood



    “I am so clever that sometimes
    I don't understand a single word
    of what I am saying.”
    - Oscar Wilde



    Email ↓
    conversationchamber@gmail.com

    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-06-30
    Posts: 1161
    Rep: 46

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by femme fatale on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 pm

    Oh...my...God!!!

    ROFLMAO!

    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-01-30
    Location: Dearborn
    Posts: 4152
    Rep: 145

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by RobbieFTW on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:51 pm

    I must be black then because at least 50% of that list I related too. LOL




    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-11-17
    Posts: 25877
    Rep: 252

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Cheaps on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:53 pm

    RobbieFTW wrote:I must be black then because at least 50% of that list I related too. LOL

    hee hee me too, or at least half black Smile

    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-09-27
    Location: Miami Beach
    Posts: 9703
    Rep: 219

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Shale on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 pm

    These all applied to me - poor white inner city boy from rural southern parents. Some are right on.


    Your dad had the uncanny ability to wake up just as you were changing the channel and yell "I was watchin' that!" - no matter how quiet you were...

    Kool aid was the only "sports drink" you knew...

    Many of the people you grew up calling your aunty, uncle, cousin, sister, or brother have no blood relation to you at all.

    You have the tendency to describe people's complexions in terms of food.

    Your family had Sunday dinners.

    OJ taught you that Black or White doesn't matter. . .So long as you've got green.

    You've been told to stop crying before you got something to cry about.

    Your parents whooped your behind if you wasted food.

    Catfish was a popular meat at your barbeques.

    Your parents told you to not even THINK about asking for toys when you go shopping with them.

    Back-sassing a parent was the last thing on your mind… if you wanted to live.

    You saw your community as part of your extended family.

    You got baths in the sink as a baby.

    You were told "I'll get mine and forget everyone else" was a terrible mindset.

    You feared your friends’ parents as much as you did your own...

    You know what cod liver oil taste like.

    You know what it meant to be told to go get a "switch." And you bet not bring back a sheisty one.

    Dessert choices were sweet potato pie or pound cake.




    If it's the right direction - swim upstream.


    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-02-02
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 662
    Rep: 32

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by JM130ELM on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 am

    Definitely the UNTE vs. ANT thing is true. 90% of black people I've seen don't pronounce aunt like "ant."



    James

    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-02-02
    Location: Jersey (West Orange)
    Posts: 3137
    Rep: 123

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Nhaiyel on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 pm

    You know you black when you get into a fight over spades.




    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-16
    Location: New York
    Posts: 27032
    Rep: 339

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Nystyle709 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:05 pm

    You know you black when it's RED Kool-Aid instead of Cherry or Tropical Punch.



    "Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet" Bob Marley


    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-01-31
    Location: Atlanta, GA
    Posts: 1868
    Rep: 39

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by AtownPeep on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:14 pm

    You know you black when your 2 year old son has braids.




    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:58 pm

    Chris wrote:I know this list is ignorant (and stereotypical) as hell but I was laughing so hard at it, I had to post it.

    [*]You were always able to find a Jet, Ebony, Ebony Jr., or Essence somewhere around the house.
    [*]Many of the people you grew up calling your aunty, uncle, cousin, sister, or brother have no blood relation to you at all.
    [*]You have the tendency to describe people's complexions in terms of food.
    [*]You've been told to stop crying before you got something to cry about.
    [*]Your parents whooped your behind if you wasted food.
    [*]Back-sassing a parent was the last thing on your mind… if you wanted to live.
    [*]You knew ladies who wore big hats to church that you can't see over when sitting down.
    [*]When your white friends talked to their parents, you ducked...
    [*]You feared your friends’ parents as much as you did your own...
    [*]If you hear your jam you dance despite the location…You could be in the bank, and you would lean and rock with it...(slightly)
    [*]You know about forty eight variations of hand shakes...and you can perform the black combination without training..You know the one which starts by locking thumbs, and then a series of other moves...
    [*]You know what cod liver oil taste like.
    [*]“oohh un hun” is an appropriate response to something you don't like.
    [*]You know what it meant to be told to go get a "switch." And you bet not bring back a sheisty one.
    [*]Sucking your teeth in front of adults ....ummm... bet not happen.
    [*]"good hair and bad hair"
    [*]Dessert choices were sweet potato pie or pound cake.
    [*]You could buy frozen kool-aid pops and Faygo sodas from the back door of an old lady in your neighborhood
    These are the ones that mostly applied to me. Some of the others I think would apply to most of my non-black friends who grew up in the south and others don't apply to a lot of black people I know from the north.

    [*]Your momma's momma was "Big Mama" and Your dad's momma was "Muh Dea"

    -A varient of this was true for me. My mom's parents were always referred to by their first names (Sally and Mac) by everyone in the family. My mom's generation grew up in Brooklyn in the 60's and if you yelled "mom" outside on the stoop, 20 people would look in your direction. However my great grandmother (my mother's mom) was called "Big Mama" and her husband was "Papa Dad". My fathers mother was "Nana" and I never knew my paternal grandfather.

    [*]You pronounce AUNT like UNTEE, not ANT

    For this one, I do both (depending on the context). If I am talking to someone else I'll refer to her as my "Ant". But if I'm talking to her, she is Aunt Lisa. I don't know why but it's always been like that.

    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-01-30
    Location: Oak Park, Michigan
    Posts: 23203
    Rep: 330

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Chris on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 pm

    You know you black when it's thundering and lightning outside and your grandma makes you turn off the lights and the TV.



    “I am so clever that sometimes
    I don't understand a single word
    of what I am saying.”
    - Oscar Wilde



    Email ↓
    conversationchamber@gmail.com

    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-28
    Posts: 5362
    Rep: 78

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by TSJFan4Ever on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:15 pm

    Wow - most of this list is foreign to me, but most of my friends who are black are African, not African American... hmmm... can you be African America but Canadian? I don't think I've heard the term African Canadian.

    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

    TSJFan4Ever wrote:Wow - most of this list is foreign to me, but most of my friends who are black are African, not African American... hmmm... can you be African America but Canadian? I don't think I've heard the term African Canadian.
    Lol. Nope! You can only be African American if you are from America and black. Black Canadians are simply called "black Canadians", all 8 of them, lol. Although, most of the things on the list probably apply to them too. Canada is basically only the 51st state anyways!

    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-09-27
    Location: Miami Beach
    Posts: 9703
    Rep: 219

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Shale on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 pm

    captainbryce wrote: ... Canada is basically only the 51st state anyways!
    Shocked d-oh!




    If it's the right direction - swim upstream.


    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-11-17
    Posts: 25877
    Rep: 252

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Cheaps on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 pm

    Chris wrote:You know you black when it's thundering and lightning outside and your grandma makes you turn off the lights and the TV.

    my grandma made us do that too, along wit sittin still and being quiet, my grandma,"ssshh! u kids sit still and hush! Its rainin!!"

    ha HA! Love my grandma Smile




    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-28
    Posts: 5362
    Rep: 78

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by TSJFan4Ever on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am

    captainbryce wrote:... Canada is basically only the 51st state anyways!

    I guess that would explain why some Americas sew our maple leaf flag on their backpacks or jackets when travelling in Europe.


    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-16
    Location: New York
    Posts: 27032
    Rep: 339

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Nystyle709 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:40 am

    captainbryce wrote:
    TSJFan4Ever wrote:Wow - most of this list is foreign to me, but most of my friends who are black are African, not African American... hmmm... can you be African America but Canadian? I don't think I've heard the term African Canadian.
    Lol. Nope! You can only be African American if you are from America and black. Black Canadians are simply called "black Canadians", all 8 of them, lol. Although, most of the things on the list probably apply to them too. Canada is basically only the 51st state anyways!

    Not quite. "African" American should really only be used to describe people who emigrated from Africa to America. Of course, it's crazy how it's not realized that Africa has more than one country, but that's another issue. The proper term for 'black' American should be "Afro" American. Black Americans are not considered immigrants.



    "Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet" Bob Marley


    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 pm

    TSJFan4Ever wrote:
    captainbryce wrote:... Canada is basically only the 51st state anyways!

    I guess that would explain why some Americas sew our maple leaf flag on their backpacks or jackets when travelling in Europe.

    We do that mostly for safety. And it's usually only "liberal" Americans who are smart enough to do that. Conservative Americans are more likely to have the stars and stripes somewhere on their person and immediately make themselves a target for terrorists. Pride is a beyotch!

    I'm in the US military and when we are travelling abroad and "dubious" people start asking us too many questions, we are supposed to claim "Canadian" since most foreigners can't tell the difference between an American or Canadian accent. Nobody really hates Canada but plenty of people hate America.

    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 pm

    Nystyle709 wrote:Not quite. "African" American should really only be used to describe people who emigrated from Africa to America. Of course, it's crazy how it's not realized that Africa has more than one country, but that's another issue. The proper term for 'black' American should be "Afro" American. Black Americans are not considered immigrants.
    That's a matter of debate. You are getting into your specific (personal) opinion of what it means to be "African American". I am merely pointing out its common usage among the majority of black people in the US (which is a more general definition). Colloquially, "African American" refers to black people (of African descent) born/raised in the United States. Whether or not the colloquial usage is the "proper" terminology is of course a matter of debate. In principle, I agree with the first part of what you said however but disagree about the "Afro American" bit. Such an expression is pretty much a relic of 1977! One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American" anymore than one needs to be an immigrant to be considered "Asian American" or "Irish American". Most 4th generation Chinese people living in Manhattan would still identify as "Asian American".


    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-16
    Location: New York
    Posts: 27032
    Rep: 339

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Nystyle709 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:56 pm

    captainbryce wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:Not quite. "African" American should really only be used to describe people who emigrated from Africa to America. Of course, it's crazy how it's not realized that Africa has more than one country, but that's another issue. The proper term for 'black' American should be "Afro" American. Black Americans are not considered immigrants.
    That's a matter of debate. You are getting into your specific (personal) opinion of what it means to be "African American". I am merely pointing out its common usage among the majority of black people in the US (which is a more general definition). Colloquially, "African American" refers to black people (of African descent) born/raised in the United States. Whether or not the colloquial usage is the "proper" terminology is of course a matter of debate. In principle, I agree with the first part of what you said however but disagree about the "Afro American" bit. Such an expression is pretty much a relic of 1977! One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American" anymore than one needs to be an immigrant to be considered "Asian American" or "Irish American". Most 4th generation Chinese people living in Manhattan would still identify as "Asian American".

    Uh, yes they do. They are not indigenous to this country and neither are we. You're thinking of it from a first generation standpoint. The proper terminology for it isn't a matter of debate. Whether or not you choose to identify with it is. I don't think twice about being labeled "African" American. It's not that important to me (because I know most don't know better) but I'm just saying what it is. The proper term should be Black or Afro-American. Your Asian analogy doesn't work because of the simple fact that even though they are 4th generation Americans, their ancestors are still immigrants to this country. So of course they won't (and shouldn't) have a problem identifying with it. An (insert any nationality here)_____ American is someone whose people who came to this country and took up residency and are now American citizens. Black Americans didn't emigrate here. We didn't migrate, sightsee or none of that shit here. We were brought here. Therefore, we are not immigrants. We are not Africans. We are from African descent.



    "Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet" Bob Marley


    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-28
    Posts: 5362
    Rep: 78

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by TSJFan4Ever on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:11 pm

    captainbryce wrote:...We do that mostly for safety. And it's usually only "liberal" Americans who are smart enough to do that. Conservative Americans are more likely to have the stars and stripes somewhere on their person and immediately make themselves a target for terrorists. Pride is a beyotch!

    I'm in the US military and when we are travelling abroad and "dubious" people start asking us too many questions, we are supposed to claim "Canadian" since most foreigners can't tell the difference between an American or Canadian accent. Nobody really hates Canada but plenty of people hate America.

    Many Canadians bristle at comments regarding Canada becoming the 51st state, as it reveals a total lack of regard for the nation that is Canada and a total lack of respect for who we are. We're a pretty proud bunch, too, and we got a chance to show the world who we were during the 2010 Olympics. There was a real feel of patriotism and unity, especially in British Columbia during that time but also in the time leading up to the Olympics as the torch wound its way around the country, stopping in hundreds of communities all over our nation.

    If you use Canada for protection when overseas, why would you want us to become the 51st state? You'd loose that protection.

    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

    Nystyle709 wrote:
    captainbryce wrote:One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American" anymore than one needs to be an immigrant to be considered "Asian American" or "Irish American". Most 4th generation Chinese people living in Manhattan would still identify as "Asian American".

    Uh, yes they do. They are not indigenous to this country and neither are we. You're thinking of it from a first generation standpoint. The proper terminology for it isn't a matter of debate. Whether or not you choose to identify with it is. I don't think twice about being labeled "African" American. It's not that important to me (because I know most don't know better) but I'm just saying what it is. The proper term should be Black or Afro-American. Your Asian analogy doesn't work because of the simple fact that even though they are 4th generation Americans, their ancestors are still immigrants to this country. So of course they won't (and shouldn't) have a problem identifying with it. An (insert any nationality here)_____ American is someone whose people who came to this country and took up residency and are now American citizens. Black Americans didn't emigrate here. We didn't migrate, sightsee or none of that shit here. We were brought here. Therefore, we are not immigrants. We are not Africans. We are from African descent.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you cannot say that your opinion is "what it is" because in my opinion that is NOT the way it is. That my be the way it is merely FOR YOU! It is simply a matter of intepretation. A white person from South African may immigrate to the US and refer to themselves as "African American" (according to your definition). And most other Americans would look at them like they were crazy!

    In my opinion, whether your ancestors immigrated here by choice, or were brought here as slaves is irrelevant. The fact is, they did come here from another country and YOU were born in this country. There is no difference in saying "African American" or "Asian American". African Americans ancestors came to America from Africa and Asian Americans came to America from Asia. Whether you choose to identify with that or not is entirely a personal preference. "Afro American" is just an archaic shortening of African American. Your perception of the word notwithstanding, there is no "distinct" meaning there.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American

    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:07 pm

    TSJFan4Ever wrote:
    Many Canadians bristle at comments regarding Canada becoming the 51st state, as it reveals a total lack of regard for the nation that is Canada and a total lack of respect for who we are. We're a pretty proud bunch, too, and we got a chance to show the world who we were during the 2010 Olympics. There was a real feel of patriotism and unity, especially in British Columbia during that time but also in the time leading up to the Olympics as the torch wound its way around the country, stopping in hundreds of communities all over our nation.

    If you use Canada for protection when overseas, why would you want us to become the 51st state? You'd loose that protection.
    Pay attention because I'm about to seriously diss and compliment your country at the same time!

    I think Canadians who feel "offended" by being called the 51st state are a little too sensitive and probably more "American" than they'd care to admit. To be honest, most Americans who call Canada the 51st state do so in jest and even the ones that don't see it as more of a COMPLIMENT than anything else. The fact is Canadians seem to care more about America than vise versa. America is a GREATER country than Canada in most ways (except land mass). Our population is greater, our worldwide influence is greater, our military is greater, our history is greater, our pioneering accomplishments have been greater and until recently our currency was greater. Canada has had some great accomplishments and many great people came from there. But there is really no comparrison! The US would still be the US as we know it if Canada never existed. Canada would NOT be Canada as we know it if it weren't for the US. Canadian culture largely mirrors either British culture or American culture. With the exception of Quebec, there is no significant, distinct Canadian "culture" (outside of Hockey) that is easily recognizable to people outside of Canada! For all intents and purposes, on the surface most Canadians simply appear to be "Americans" who just happen to live north of the boarder!

    And while American is a "greater" country than Canada, what makes Canada a BETTER country in many ways compared to the US has mostly to do with the lack of conflict within your country that makes the quality of life better for most citizens. Canada is less polarized and divided compared to the US. It has luxuries that it can afford to have which the US doesn't due to its smaller population (a universal healthcare system; better education; higher safety; more security against the threat of terrorism; etc). I would LOVE to retire and move to Canada. I generally find Canadians to be easy going, open-minded, more liberal, and less ignorant than typical Americans. For the most part, Canada is a "better" place to live than most places in the US. But much of that is due in part to the US. Canada being situation right next the US and having the US as a political and military ally whilst being an independent government at the same time is a much bigger benefit (and necessity) for Canada than vice versa!

    I personally don't like "national pride" and I think Americans are full of it, moreso than any other English speaking country. Too much national pride is actually nausiating to me. So when I hear you talk about "Canadian pride" that actually makes me sick too because one of the things I like about Canada (that makes it DIFFERENT from the US) is that I don't view Canadians being as "nationalistic". And when I hear Canadians talk about how "proud" they are to be Canadian, they start to remind me of Americans and I like them less! I call Canada the 51st state because it is as different from the US as any US state is from the next. In other words, not very much and only in very minor ways (the good ways)! The more Canadians try single themselves out for their "national pride" the more I see them as Americans (which is kind of ironic).

    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

    Female
    Join date: 2010-03-16
    Location: New York
    Posts: 27032
    Rep: 339

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by Nystyle709 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:08 pm

    captainbryce wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:

    Uh, yes they do. They are not indigenous to this country and neither are we. You're thinking of it from a first generation standpoint. The proper terminology for it isn't a matter of debate. Whether or not you choose to identify with it is. I don't think twice about being labeled "African" American. It's not that important to me (because I know most don't know better) but I'm just saying what it is. The proper term should be Black or Afro-American. Your Asian analogy doesn't work because of the simple fact that even though they are 4th generation Americans, their ancestors are still immigrants to this country. So of course they won't (and shouldn't) have a problem identifying with it. An (insert any nationality here)_____ American is someone whose people who came to this country and took up residency and are now American citizens. Black Americans didn't emigrate here. We didn't migrate, sightsee or none of that shit here. We were brought here. Therefore, we are not immigrants. We are not Africans. We are from African descent.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you cannot say that your opinion is "what it is" because in my opinion that is NOT the way it is. That my be the way it is merely FOR YOU! It is simply a matter of intepretation. A white person from South African may immigrate to the US and refer to themselves as "African American" (according to your definition). And most other Americans would look at them like they were crazy!


    He sure can identify himself as African-American because that's exactly what he is! LOL, that example of yours just shows how much you (and everybody else) totally and ignorantly forgets the fact that Africa is a continent. Not a damn country. It has many countries and Africa is so vast that it shouldn't just be associated with black people. Don't even try and dispute that.

    In my opinion, whether your ancestors immigrated here by choice, or were brought here as slaves is irrelevant. The fact is, they did come here from another country and YOU were born in this country. There is no difference in saying "African American" or "Asian American". African Americans ancestors came to America from Africa and Asian Americans came to America from Asia. Whether you choose to identify with that or not is entirely a personal preference. "Afro American" is just an archaic shortening of African American. Your perception of the word notwithstanding, there is no "distinct" meaning there.

    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American[/quote[/url]]

    LOL. Ya know, if you planned on using a 'reputable' source to back up your claim, then I'd strongly suggest you stay away from Wikipedia. This Merriam-Webster's definition dear:

    im·mi·grant

    noun \ˈi-mə-grənt\

    Definition of IMMIGRANT

    : one that immigrates: as a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence b : a plant or animal that becomes established in an area where it was previously unknown

    em·i·grat·edem·i·grat·ing

    Definition of EMIGRATE

    intransitive verb
    : to leave one's place of residence or country to live elsewhere <emigrated from Canada to the United States>

    em·i·gra·tion \ˌe-mə-ˈgrā-shən\ noun

    Hmmm, let's see. Both definitions clearly describes a person who voluntarily leaves their country to come to another, for whatever reason. It is a fact that did not volunteer to come here, it is a fact that we are not indigenous here. Yeah, the fact that we didn't voluntarily come here is extremely relevant. Makes all the difference. Since by that definition, we are not immigrants, then it's a fact that we are not from Africa.



    "Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet" Bob Marley


    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

    Male
    Join date: 2010-04-11
    Location: California
    Posts: 2053
    Rep: 127

    default Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

    Post by captainbryce on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 pm

    Nystyle709 wrote:
    He sure can identify himself as African-American because that's exactly what he is! LOL, that example of yours just shows how much you (and everybody else) totally and ignorantly forgets the fact that Africa is a continent. Not a damn country. It has many countries and Africa is so vast that it shouldn't just be associated with black people. Don't even try and dispute that.
    I'm not disputing that. I don't think Africa being a continent (which I am fully aware of thank you) is relevant to the discussion. Asia is ALSO a continent but that's completely besides the point. The term "African American" in the US is commonly associated with black people born, raised in or residing in the United States. A South African immigrant may come here and call himself an African American if he/she wants to and that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it is incorrect for a black American to also call themselves African American if they choose to.

    Nystyle709 wrote:LOL. Ya know, if you planned on using a 'reputable' source to back up your claim, then I'd strongly suggest you stay away from Wikipedia.
    There is so much WRONG with what you just said I don't even know where to begin! First of all, wikipedia itself is NOT the source that I am referencing, so whether you consider wikipedia "reputable" or not doesn't really matter. The fact is, the definition of "African American" posted on wikipedia has a source that backs it up from the US CENSUS BUREAU (which is why I posted that link). Wikipedia is actually one of the BEST reference tools because it actually sites other sources that are easily verifiable and because it's also easy to tell when a source is not cited.

    Nystyle709 wrote:Hmmm, let's see. Both definitions clearly describes a person who voluntarily leaves their country to come to another, for whatever reason. It is a fact that did not volunteer to come here, it is a fact that we are not indigenous here. Yeah, the fact that we didn't voluntarily come here is extremely relevant. Makes all the difference. Since by that definition, we are not immigrants, then it's a fact that we are not from Africa.
    We are not debating the definition of IMMIGRANT. That was never in dispute! I know what an immigrant is, I simply contend that whether or not a person is an "immigrant" or not is irrelevant with respect to the term African American. YOU are the one trying to make one thing relate to the other. I never said that African Americans were immigrants. I in fact said quote: One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American".. YOU are the one who is saying that a person has to be an immigrant to be considered an African American and I am saying that you are wrong. African American is a term that means different things to different people, but MOST people in the US don't consider it to be "immigrants" from the CONTINENT of Africa. And as a matter of coincedence, neither does the US Census! So you may intepret the term however you please, but you cannot say that it is WRONG to refer to a black American as an African American just because they are NOT an immigrant. And like I said before, a 4th generation Chinese person is NOT an immigrant either, but they may still refer to themselves as ASIAN AMERICAN (associating themselves with the continent of Asia) or CHINESE AMERICAN (associating themselves with the country of China). Whether a person is an immigrant from a certain country or continent has no bearing on how that person views their cultural significance as it relates to that region. Black Americans who view themselves has having a connection to Africa due to their ethnicity and culture refer to themselves as African American. Who are you to say that they are WRONG?

      Current date/time is Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 am